Sunday, July 18, 2010


Friday, July 9, Day 64
Wisdom to Darby, Montana (mileage unknown)


Today was a day of transition. We left Wisdom at 6,100 feet and headed toward Darby that is 4,000 feet. Beginning temperature was around 60 and the daytime high was around 75 to 80 with little or no humidity. We had a 27-mile climb out of Wisdom to Chief Joseph Pass at 7,250 feet. It was a long but not so cumbersome as some of the climbs we’ve made lately. The downhill was nasty consisting of many hairpin turns and a grade of 6 to 7 percent. The decent went slowly allowing at least four separate occasions where I stopped to cool my brakes. Once on the bottom, I could look back on the experience as one I will never forget. Was I happy? Do bears shit in the woods???
Steve who is much better at handling extreme downhills was waiting at the bottom for Ted. His bike, too, has disc brakes and they don’t heat up the same way padded brakes do!
We stopped for lunch and I enjoyed a Bison Burger (very interesting). I’m game to try a lot of different foods…bison, why not???
We were on a downhill the remainder of our ride into Darby.

No comments:

Post a Comment